Within the close-knit fiber of the Villages of Van Buren County lies a culture that brings the arts to life. For those of us who live here it may not be as obvious, but for those who journey to the lush hardwoods and twisting river valley of Van Buren County, Iowa it leaves a lingering presence and peacefulness experienced only by thoughts of years gone by.


Out of this culture has grown such artists as Wendell Mohr and many with such gifts and talents have chosen to make their homes amongst this peace and tranquility.


The Villages Folk School, with its campus spread throughout the valley like splotches of paint on an artist's palette, offers
others a chance to capture, if only for a brief moment in time,


the joy of experiencing the arts in this way.










Monday, March 1, 2010

Experiencing the Arts in the Villages Folk School

     I am always taking in the peacefulness of the villages as I travel to the folk school class destinations. While driving to Gin Lammert’s “Still Life in Soft Pastels” class at the town hall in Cantril, I watched several deer moving about the hillsides. Then, to my pleasant surprise, I saw a group or “rafter” of wild turkeys picking at the ground where the snow was beginning to melt. Driving through Van Buren County Iowa is like traveling through a game preserve. I was nearly to the first class when I noticed an eagle standing in the snow alongside the road. I slowed my vehicle so that I could enjoy his beauty for a moment before traveling on. Getting there is half the fun!
     The soft pastels class was just beginning as I arrived, so I greeted Gin Lammert, the artist, and welcomed the students to our folk school. I then stepped back and watched as Gin began to share from her expertise.  I am always impressed by the skill level of our artists’ work, but watching them break that passionate gift down and share it on a level that anyone can grasp is a pleasure to behold. After saying my goodbyes, I started my trek to Bentonsport and Betty Printy’s studio.

  
   Betty’s “Beginning Pottery” class was underway and the wheels were turning. They briefly stopped to acknowledge my arrival and then went back to work as Betty moved from wheel to wheel giving her approval and corrective suggestions. They were obviously excited about creating something out of clay. Each one smiled as they carefully placed the tool against the spinning clay, removing unwanted portions and revealing their work of art. I took some pictures as they worked and then excused myself to head further down river to Bonaparte where Meg King was teaching “Beginning Knitting” in the parlor of the 1872 Victorian brick home built by Robert Meek.



     Meg was working with each of the ladies as they learned to start the yarn onto the knitting needle, a process called “casting on”. They each hoped to make something by the end of the day that would provide warmth for their ears. I think they were enjoying the peaceful, quiet surroundings of the parlor as much as their knitting experience. Sue Burns, their host for the day, was busy in the kitchen making scones, lemon curd, and devonshire cream for their afternoon tea. Hope there is enough for me!! I took some more pictures and once again started back to Bentonsport for the afternoon class.

     Once back in Bentonsport, I found Betty Printy busy with her “Intermediate Wheel Throwing Class”. Students were honing their skills and techniques as they shaped the clay spinning on the wheel in front of them. It was amazing to watch as they effortlessly formed their intended masterpiece. I must take that class someday!

     The Villages Folk School will bring you face to face with artists who have developed their artistic skills and live them out on a day to day basis. While they live their lives here in the villages they invite you to come and experience this serene valley that has become their home and their motivation. I listened as Betty Printy told me of when she was a young schoolgirl, how a teacher took 10 minutes of his time to show her how to center the clay on the wheel. She immediately knew in that brief encounter that this was something she wanted to do for the rest of her life. She has never forgotten that time and how it propelled her into a successful artist. It is now her desire to share that experience with as many as she can. That story reverberates through the Villages Folk School and offers a chance for each of you reading this story to join one of our many artists for a weekend of what might be the beginning of a life changing experience for you.

     Go to our website at www.villagesfolkschool.com and see for yourself the classes that are being offered. They are constantly being added to so check back weekly. You can register online for your class, email us at villagesfolkschool@gmail.com, or call our office anytime Tuesday through Friday, noon to 4 p.m. at 319-592-3700.

     We look forward to offering this unique experience to you and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment