Within the close-knit fiber of the Villages of Van Buren County lies a culture that brings the arts to life. For those of us who live here it may not be as obvious, but for those who journey to the lush hardwoods and twisting river valley of Van Buren County, Iowa it leaves a lingering presence and peacefulness experienced only by thoughts of years gone by.


Out of this culture has grown such artists as Wendell Mohr and many with such gifts and talents have chosen to make their homes amongst this peace and tranquility.


The Villages Folk School, with its campus spread throughout the valley like splotches of paint on an artist's palette, offers
others a chance to capture, if only for a brief moment in time,


the joy of experiencing the arts in this way.










Wednesday, October 20, 2010

“Pulp Play, Bird watching, landscapes captured on canvas, and the dough is rising!”

                                                                                    

     Last Thursday and Friday at the Cantril Town Hall Pat Crawford was busy teaching her student all about making paper and creating a journal. Various fibers were utilized to make paper on the first day and on Friday they created a journal for keeping memorable information. I spent some time taking pictures of the process and listening in as Pat described the procedure to her student, April Ziegler. They seemed to be having a great time and the paper was something that would be unique to her personal journal. April was enjoying every moment!

     Saturday morning began as normal as any other Villages Folk School class morning but this day was to be especially exciting. I ate breakfast, filled the commuter cup with coffee, loaded the camera and paperwork in the van and headed for the wetlands of Mt. Sterling, Iowa. The drive was peaceful and I noticed even more color beginning to show in the trees.

     I arrived in Mt. Sterling and drove to the community building where Raymond and Connie Morris were giving their introductory information for the fall bird watching class. I introduced myself to the students and took a seat to enjoy Raymond’s presentation. It is really all about retraining your mind to be more aware of the many birds that are around you every day. The students were all very excited about getting out to the wetlands to start their search and after a short presentation we jumped in the vehicles and headed out. This was my first trip into the wetlands at Mt. Sterling and, I must admit, they were beautiful. Our anticipation was soon satisfied as an Egret unfurled his huge wings and soared across the water. Soon after that the group spotted a large Pelican. As we drove along I looked to my left and just above the tree line I noticed a Rough-legged Hawk suspended in the air, flapping his wings until he plunged swiftly to the ground to attack his prey. I thought to myself, “Yesterday I would have never seen him or known what kind of bird he was.” Raymond had just talked about him in the classroom and because of his explanation of what the Rough-legged Hawk looked like in flight I was able to quickly identify him. I think I could learn to enjoy this! But like all great classes at the Villages Folk School, I had to tear myself away and move on to the next class site. I bid ‘good day’ to the students and their instructor and headed for Bentonsport on the Des Moines River to find John Preston and his “Painting the Landscape” class.

     Arriving in Bentonsport I soon found John and his four students. They had set their easels in place along the river and were beginning to paint. John had also set his easel and was working on his own painting intermittently as he moved from student to student lending his expertise and constructive advice. I went about my business taking pictures. This area was a great choice for the class because the fall palette was beautiful as a backdrop for the river and the bridge to the west. Each student had identified a segment of the landscape and was at work capturing it on canvas. I walked from student to student taking pictures and enjoying their creations on canvas. While I stood admiring some of the work, I noticed John’s easel. He had just come back to it and was starting to put some brushstrokes to the painting. I know that he picks his colors and places the brush with careful precision but when you watch him at work it appears to be effortless. “Oh, to be able to paint like that”, I thought to myself. Each time I see John at work I develop even more respect for the man, his gift, and the ease in which he shares it. If you like to paint or have a desire to learn this would be a great class to take. I had one more class to visit so it was off to the bread making class.

     I arrived at the home of Bill & Betty Printy where I found Betty and her daughter, April Ziegler, just starting the Artisan Bread Making Made Easy class. I have visited this class several times previously and always enjoy the process. The best part for me is towards the end when they begin to slice the fresh loaves of warm bread. Of course, I must lend my expert opinion by tasting as many as humanly possible. A little butter, which jam should I use on this one? So many decisions to make! Betty never allows me to go away hungry and, of course, I’m not complaining. As you’ll see when you visit our folk school website and blog, the pictures tell the story. Every loaf of bread comes from the oven with a wonderful brown crust, just picture perfect! This has been a very popular class as we have registrations for three more classes and calls continue to come in. Men, if you’re smart, you’ll send your wife to this one and then begin to enjoy fresh baked bread at home. It’s great!!!

     To find more information about our classes go to www.villagesfolkschool.com and discover a world of art at your fingertips. Each subject carefully prepared and taught by a gifted artist instructor who has honed their skills by ‘living the arts’ in Van Buren County, Iowa. The Villages Folk School offers classes to young and old with a setting located in each of the twelve villages.

     Congratulations to Diana Hootman of Douds, Iowa who was the winner of our $20 gift certificate last week at the Women’s Health Fair held at the Van Buren County Hospital.

     If you are one of our readers without access to the internet, we have published the following class list for your convenience: Beginner’s Lightweight Sock Knitting, 23 Oct and 20 Nov; Natural Dyes in My Backyard, 28-29 Oct; 7 Step Chair Caning, 30 Oct; Still Life in Soft Pastels, 6 Nov; Chair Caning with Fiber Rush Weave, 13 Nov; Fried Fiction Workshop, 13-14 Nov; Container Candles, 27 Nov.

     Register for a class at the Villages Folk School and get ready for an experience that starts you on your way to living the arts!

No comments:

Post a Comment